Monday, October 10, 2011

Rise and Sprout the Lentils are Out...

So, I've recently taken an interest in sprouting. I don't even know how or why I started looking into it, but last week I decided to give it a go. I think I had avoided it before because I thought I needed special equipment or seeds, but as it turns out, you don't. So, with our one lonely mason jar, a porous rag, rubber band and some neglected dried lentils, I conducted my first intentional sprouting experiment. I say intentional because technically that bean I put in a wet paper towel in a cupboard under our microwave as a forgotten science experiment as a little kid was sprouting-and what a sprout it was when I found it weeks later-probably could have gotten first place at the county fair...Anyway, the lentils were super easy. I let them soak in the jar overnight, then did about 3-4 Rinse and Drain cycles every 8-12 hours, straining them through the towel on top of the jar and putting them in a dark warm place in between. I'm so proud of those little sprouts:) They taste great-really. It sure beats the heck out of boiling the lentils for who knows how many hours until they're soft enough and then trying to disguise them in a soup or chili so Kelly doesn't notice them. He willingly put these sprouts on his sandwhich and thinks they're great, I do too! I'm excited to try other sprouts-currently I've got some pinto beans in the jar, but the possibilities are seemingly endless. Kelly put in a request for Mustard sprouts, so if I can find some seeds, those will be next. Sprouts are super nutritious and a fantastic way to have fresh "veggies" on hand. If you're interested in the world of sprouting there is tons of stuff about it on the internet, especially Sproutpeople.org

Half a cup of dry lentils yielded about 2-3 C of sprouts!

Clearly that didn't focus like it was supposed to-oh well

No comments:

Post a Comment