Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Yeah, I'm a new Mom

It's taken a few months, but I think I'm finally distinguishing myself as a new mother. I've been working long hours to get the circles under my eyes just the right shade of dark and baggy. I have no qualms against putting my hair up in a bun or pony tail when its still wet and letting it stay that way all day; I have reached a new level of enlightenment concerning makeup-ie, it's mostly just for Sundays. I've been perfecting the art of deflecting spitup from the burp rag onto my shirt and pants so I get those nice white patches in the most random of places. When you talk to me or ask me a question, I can give you a glazed over look and ask you to repeat everything at least twice, and when we're done with our conversation you'll be satisfied to know that I probably comprehended a quarter of it and remember less. I'm qualified to accurately rate a blowout on a scale of 1-10, and can testify to the fact that a baby can in fact pee on his own head, and beyond. I can now talk to adults in baby talk. Walls and closed doors don't frighten me anymore, I can crash into them anytime without hesitating (not while holding the baby of course). I am fine tuning my bink radar, I can sense where it is from a mile away-heaven forbid it ever gets that far. I can anthropomorphize like you wouldn't believe, some of my best conversations are with stuffed animals-(a shout out here to Nigel The Sock Monkey and his delightful British accent). I've almost memorized two entire books, classics at that.* I have taken up songwriting-they have no distiguishable tune, they don't really rhyme and I can't sing them again the same way twice. I'm becoming increasingly ambi and pedi dextrous. And the list goes on I'm sure, but my brain knows when to stop thinking-its top notch, it's even developed a "Random Shut Off" mode that can be engaged several times a day.

*Good Night Moon and Freight Train

Bragging sarcasm aside, I absolutely love being a mom, even with all the hard or seemingly less than convenient things that come with the territory, I wouldn't have it any other way. One smile from Asher is enough to make me forget that I'm not in perfect condition mentally and physically, and enough to make me happy to continue on that way if it means I get him in my life forever. He's getting so big and cute! The other day I was giving him a bath and he started giggling when I was washing his little feet. It was his first giggle (at least while he was awake, he laughs in his sleep sometimes) and it made my week. I'm glad he's ticklish, it will make for many fun times ahead. He's started reaching for things, but is still a little unsure of his ability to control his hands, its funny to watch his little mind putting two and two together. I'm pretty sure he's going to be right handed-no big suprise there, its just neat that you can tell so early.

In other news, I'm so glad to have Kelly home after a week of rafting on the Green River (poor Kelly, I know). I'll ask him if he'll post about it and put up some pictures of his trip and most especially of his awesome beard, I made him take a picture of it for his brother Ryan's sake. It was hard to have Kelly gone so long, but Asher and I got to spend a few days out at my parent's house in Stansbury, where Grandma Morris was really helpful in taking care of Asher. She also introduced him to Fox News on the big screen (he was captivated)-thanks Mom:) Anyhow, like I said, I'm so glad Kelly is home, Asher and I both missed him a ton! He came back right in time for his first Father's Day. I helped Asher make him a little card that said, "I may be just a little guy, but I sure know a lot...I know you're the best Dad ever!" I got Asher to hold it in his hand long enough for Kelly to take it from him, it was really cute.

I sense the Random Shut Off mode starting up in my brain, so this will be all for today. Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. You are so cute. I love you MAMA Esther.

    "shout out to Mr. Nigel"...hahahahhah

    Give Asher BIG kisses for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you write that bit yourself? I love it! Very talented. And we must be sisters or something because I can relate to everything you wrote. Except the extreme fatigue part. I think I may have inherited a more wakeful gene. You are doing great! I made you a taggie-make sure mom remembers to get it to you:) It is so sweet to enjoy all the little moments. I feel with the second you don't notice every tiny thing but in a way you are more relaxed and just enjoy having a little baby. I squeeze lotty's little cheeks several times a day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you wrote this! I enjoyed reading it and it is good to hear from new moms. I think I have been making people nervous, watching birthing documentaries and asking around for home schooling books. We are not there yet, but I will not be caught unprepared :)

    PS Ryan is waiting for those beard pictures

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that all sounds pretty accurate! I feel like I can laugh about it now, but I'll probably be crying about it in a month when the sleep deprivation sets in :) Asher's really lucky to have parents like you and Kelly. Hope we get to see you guys again soon.

    ReplyDelete